Thursday, November 18, 2004

Racism and My Movie

Email response from a crew member

My personal opinion is that I can never *like* a racist character. Once Brad uses derogatory references towards Derek, I shut down, and everything Brad does afterwards is tainted by his mindset. In regards to his portrayal (I think you mentioned that Brad's racism is meant to be unnerving but ultimately unrelateable), I don't believe that Brad looks foolish or weak, rather he looks powerful and in control. I have no idea what the rest of the story would look like, but this is all I have to go from.

In general, I cannot identify with or appreciate racist characters who are not shown being anything but. I also believe that when filmmakers touch on "hot button issues", they have to expect a reaction from people. No matter how ridiculous you think they are being, they react that way for a reason, and that won't ever change. An outsider using hate language against a member of my ethnic group as just that, hate language, will always rub me the wrong way, regardless of his/her intentions.

I don't think that you are a bad person, Greg... but I do think that everyone's a little bit racist/sexist/misogynistic, and some things you say and/or do will be interpreted as such, WHETHER YOU MEAN IT OR NOT.

That said, you can step up to the plate and knock off as many taboos as you want, but understand that your artistic choices will always be a window giving people a clear view of your mind and your innermost interests, convictions, and desires.


Decent point. And in a related story - Terrell Owens and some hot white chick.

My response:

Tony d has no sense of humor. The day will come when
enough of us can laugh at the absurdities of racism and
stereotypes...and that will be the day when we are truly integrated.

Until then the forces of political correctness will fight what they
perceive to be bigotry - which, mind you, isn't the same thing as
fighting against bigotry.

If you want to get all serious, check out what has happened to bill
cosby when he spoke up about how the younger african americans haven't
taken advantage of the opportunities paved by older african americans
through the civil rights movement. the guy has devoted his life to
these issues and knows what he is talking about - yet the response by
many in the black and white community were outrage that he would say
such an un-couth and "racist" thing. these are the same people who
don't like to recognize we have had successive black secretary of
state's and a black supreme court justice - because they are not
"black" enough. now, who is being racist?

and ps, I love T.O.!

---More comment: Frankly, I'm so bored by coversations about racism because I don't really know anyone who's an old fashioned regular ole racist anymore.

No comments: