Thursday, November 25, 2004

Cornell West on TV

Talking at CMC, my old rival. Inspirational speaker. He posed many questions...the one that specifically addressed me was one I've been asking myself for awhile: "For those of us young people in favor of the war, why aren't we there fighting?"

My friend's younger brother is off to Kuwait next week, fighting with the Marines. I wonder to myself...there is this world with severe problems and this country, which is hurt and sick and needs help and I'm going to froo-froo film school and before that, working for a litigation consulting company. It's not just about joining the army, but it's about serving your country or performing a duty or something like that...

I tested for the Foreign Service and didn't take the 2nd round seriously enough and did not get in. I was too wrapped up in film school. I need and want to finish film school, but what after that?

Are my choices simply selfish? I don't aspire to be or live that way. Tough questions.

No comments: