Thursday, November 18, 2004

About Schmidt

I'm on a Alexander Payne kick these days after seeing Sideways and thinking about his films. I finally saw About Schmidt last night. Really enjoyed it and got into it emotionally, but found it less funny than his other films. I found it deeply sad. This midwestern, repressed male character reminds me of my father's family, being from the midwest, having a certain way of doing things and sense of decency. They really are the nicest folks in the world, but in some respects live the type of life that Nicholson character did in the movie - living this entire life and feeling at the end, what did he do or what did he accomplish....I don't think they feel this way, but I really don't know. It's hard to communicate honestly across-generations. The rules and etiquette don't necessarily translate well.

But Payne does a great job with character and details, and has a generally great sense of humor. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers.

1 comment:

Steph! said...

Etiquette.