Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Incredibles

Just watched this film and quite enjoyed it. I think it might have a chance, in a this weak year of films, to get nominated for Best Picture. I'm not a huge fan of animation and pixar and all of that, but when the script is good and the action exciting, I can't help but enjoy myself. My favorite parts of the film involve the family of Incredibles trying to deal with mediocrity and living in a world that wants everyone to be special...and hence no one.

The Incredibles is in many ways a perfect post-modern film...nearly the entire thing is derivative, borrowed from super hero films, including Spiderman II, James Bond, and Eminem's Stan. Add in the playful suburban banter while saving the world and movie stars voicing the computer animation and your witness to nearly all of the major developments of the post modern film era...I guess the only thing missing is a non-linear plot and of course, the fact that, well, it's a super hero movie.

Here is more praise, from the design angle.

No comments: