Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Who Forwarded My Blog to the Jewish Anti-Defamation League?

Okay, sort of joking. Let's be civil in the blogosphere and try to have a little sense of humor about ourselves! As promised, I will promote and respond to the comments made on the blog, which I appreciate, even if they accuse me of having no moral compass. We'll start with that one, since it's the easiest to retort to.

The original post is here.

I admitted to a slight twinge of sadness to hear of Arafat's death, but also pointed out in my entry that, "The guy, through his corruption and narrow-mindedness, caused hurt and pain to his own people and the people of Israel."

The most voracious response, "Anyone who feels a "twinge of sadness" to hear of this shitbag's death is utterly without moral compass. This is a mass murderer, the father of modern terrorism. He differs from Hitler only in the resources that were available to him and the ability of his victims to fight back."

Another money quote for another anonymous responder: "I think we should all rejoice in his death and hope that no one who takes his place could ever be as ridiculous or dubious."

I not so respectfully, disagree. Arafat is no Hitler. Hamas, perhaps. But Arafat, incompetant and corrupt, is no Hitler. Neither is Bush, neither is Sharon. Hitler comparisons are used by intellectually lazy folks to end discussion, not foster it.

My point about Arafat, I think, is a more human one. He is the leader of the Palestinian people and a truly bad one. But he's sick and dying and for some reason, call me a sentimentalist, is sad to me. The Palestinians, for whatever poor decisions they have made, do deserve and get sympathy. I think the Palestinians and Israelis have a good chance to be better off without Arafat, but that doesn't mean I can't feel bad for him. I thought it was big of Sharon to say that Arafat can leave and return for hospital care, despite earlier pledges that if he left, he would never be able to return.

I'm not blaming Israel for suicide bombings and the general hatred way too many in the Arab world feel towards the state...but at the same time, do you think rejoicing in Arafat's death will lead to an eventual peace between Israel and the Palestinians?

You don't have to be sad in seeing the death of your enemy - but I'm entitled to feel a certain way without being accused of having no morality. My position in no way hurts anyone, and nor do I espouse that everyone ought to feel the same way I do. So fuck off!

No comments: