Saturday, November 13, 2004

Unenthusiastic Vote For Kerry

I was thinking about an email exchange I had with a friend about voting unenthusiastically for Kerry. She was upset that I was enthusiastic. We got in a fight about it. So I laid out my position in an email, that I started thinking about again today and finally found it. I figured I ought to post it on the blog. While the election is over, I think issues and stances surrounding this election will linger for a long time. Even last night my co-producer and director got in a fight over whether the election was a landslide or not. Then the costume designer cornered me into saying who I voted for, like it was some type of secret.

Anyhow, here's my email, from which I have yet to hear a critical response.

with our kerry - bush discussion on FP, as far as i can tell, this is
the difference:

1. We both would have supported the UN going into Iraq

2. Since the UN did not support Iraq,
a) I think we did the right thing
b) You think we did the wrong thing

3. The present. Once we are in Iraq...
a) I think we've made some bad decisions, but still think the
overall is good...I think we'll only be able to correctly judge this,
though, years down the road.
b) You think we've done wrong over there, that the overall is bad,
but since we're there, we need to make the best of a shitty situation.

4. The future.
a) You are positive Kerry will do a better job making a safe Iraq
b) I am skeptical and hopeful Kerry will do a better job for making
a safe Iraq.

-------------------------------
That's the simple breakdown of our differences, am I right? Stop
reading now, if you don't want to hear my explanation.

The reason I am skeptical is because I think it is a really, really
tough job. I'm not convinced that France and Germany, et al, if they
decide to help, will actually be helpful. These are countries with
strong financial ties to Saddam's old regime, that had zero interest
in seeing him go - they weren't standing up to an arrogant president,
they were acting in their own self interest - which means dealing with
an autocrat who suppresses religious fundamentalists (in the past, we
had this same position) and with weakening america power. There is a
mode of thought in europe and in leftist american circles that a
relatively weaker America is a good thing - for the sake of world
balance. I disagree with this. But I also think America IS weaker,
in some respects, than we've been since 1989. (separate issue)

Lastly, there is something about the concept of "manliness" that we
tend to find tacky and arrogant...but that goes a long way in the Arab
world.

if nothing else, Bush appears tough - even if this is untrue. we can
complain and argue about this, but I think, in the eyes of the world
and americans, Bush appears tougher than Kerry. (i hear the chorus of
arguments already) Along the same lines, he appears more stubborn and
arrogant, which pisses of europeans and pisses off blue-staters. but
this "manliness" I think, affects enemies. I think terrorist have
thrived in a politically correct world that views them as by-products
of the global capitalist system. in the clinton world, these guys
were criminals. in bush's world, they are enemies. i am not
convinced that kerry sees them as enemies - I still think he views
them as criminals. but I'd rather have someone who deals with
criminals well than enemies poorly. hence my vote for kerry and hence
my lack of passion for it.


What is interesting, is that she forwared me an email from before 2000 election in which we basically had the same positions, she was freaking out over the Bush-Cheney ticket and I said "Bush-Cheney won't ruin the world and Gore won't save it."

I read my old emails and am suprised how smart I was. He haw.

No comments: