Monday, January 10, 2005

School

Excellent. First day of school. I attended a 508/310 acting SA/teacher meeting this morning. What a hoot. Seeing the faculty operate behind closed doors is some of the best entertainment I've seen at USC - these folks are characters. I won't go into details for fear of being read and fired from my job (it can happen - ask Alice).

Then I was off to make copies and do my job. Mildly entertaining.

Ate at the UV, got nauseous. Disgusting. But I hung out a bit with some folks I haven't seen in awhile - always nice.

Did more errands, got more tasks for another job I'm doing. Busy, busy.

Attended Interactive Narrative Theory and Practice, a hoity-toity critical studies class that looks completely amazing to me. We are going to write a paper that acts as the first draft of a potentially publishable work. I'm definately going to write about blogging and the interactive potential and narrative structures that are developing each day. We also participate in the labyrith project, some sort of interactive project with different little sub-projects. I am interesting in "Replacing Hollywood," a project focused on the use of cell phones a distribution tool and operating on the premise that Hollywood is a national industry with a set of interests masquerading as a universal image-maker.

We watched Pillow Book, a movie that continues to fascinate me. The film doesn't touch me or emotionally move me, but it constructs this odd world that emphasizes and values a different approach to both movie-making and story-telling. Not to mention a perverse approach to sexuality, which I always appreciate.

Then I argued about torture with Cindy and Kevin.

I ate Burger King because I only had 1/2 hour and 4 dollars in my wallet. Disgusting.

Visual expression was pretty cool. We talked a lot about the visual elements of painting, still photography, and film. It wasn't super sophisticated, but we covered a lot of material and the class will be valuable. I just don't know if I'll have time to take it.

Drove Merker to the bus stop and came home to 5 messages of varying importance.

Ahhh. USC, if nothing else, it keeps you on your toes.

No comments: