Monday, January 10, 2005

Torture

Postrel writes about torture, which happens every day in prisons and we make jokes about it, yet there's an outrage about the prisoner abuse in Cuba and Iraq.

I haven't written much about it, because sadly, I don't care all that much...does that sound inhuman? I don't think we ought to be torturing people for sport - anyone who does that is a sick bastard and should be dealt with - harshly. Yet at the same time, I'd not terribly adverse to using sketchy methods to get information from our enemies. I don't have a problem delegating that authority to "experts." Is that against the Geneva Convention? I guess so. Does that make me a bad person? I suppose. But to me, if the choice is between being nice and winning a war, I choose winning the war any day.

Note: many people argue that torture has proven to not be an effective way of interrogating folks. Fine, if that's the case, I'm all for not torturing. However, I wonder if there isn't a bit of cognitive dissonence going on with that type of thinking....

Also note: Opening up the door to torture is a slippery slope. You don't want to unleash the darkest, ugliest sides of human nature in ourselves. That can quickly spiral out of control.

I think universal outrage over the issue is the easy way out. Consistency is the hobgoblin of simple minds.

No comments: