Saturday, January 08, 2005

Okay, California Split

There's something about Altman...I think he'd be a great host of a party. I imagine his film sets were a blast. I'm almost positive that Gould and Segal are truly drunk when they are discussing the seven dwarfs at the bar. Gould in his Altman films is the Jewish Shaft - so badass in a irreverant, 1970s way. When he beats the shit out of the bum who stole his money and when he convinces the gunman to only take half his winnings. Genius. The end of this film is brilliant, an indictment against itself, the movie ends unbelievably good for the protaganists, yet Segal realizes how empty and shallow their success, and hence, their relationship is.

This film is about men. It's a buddy film film about addiction. How can middle age men become friends? Only through low-brow activities - gambling, drinking, hanging with whores. Maybe this is the only way men can become friends post-puberty.

Segal is a bit blas'e for most of the film. His best moments are the beginning when he is pretending to be hurt and stealing chips and the end when he yells at Gould to stay away from him during his winning streak.

I can't say I liked this film as much as Sideways or McCabe and Mrs. Miller. But I'm glad I own it, so I can keep revisiting.

No comments: