Saturday, January 22, 2005

Feminists and Math and Science and Shit

Powerline wonders whether the reason for fewer women in the sciences has to do with biological, as opposed to social, reasons. That is, men are biologically superior at math and science because it was important to know about calculus and mapping the human genome and stuff when we were hunting, whereas those skills weren't so handy for the women cooking and breast feeding.

I can buy it - except that I honestly don't really care that much. It's much more interesting to me when people are good at things they aren't supposed to be good at, women math professors, white male rappers, black golfers, you know what I mean.

It does bug me, however, when Denise Richards plays a nuclear scientist (Tomorrow Never Dies) or Elizabeth Shue plays a genius mathematician (The Saint). I much prefer the nubile high school sex maniac (Wild Things) and the babysitter out of place in the big city (Adventures in Babysitting). Those roles are more appropriate, biologically speaking.

If that makes me a non-feminist, oh well. Feminism is soooo passé, anyway.

No comments: