Friday, January 14, 2005

Rebels on the BackLot

Looks to be awesome. All about the rise of PTA, QT, David O, Spike Jonze, Soderbergh, and Fincher.

But the Quentin Tarantino tales seem the liveliest. One "friend" told writer Waxman, "He'd walk into his office and announce to an assistant. 'I've always wanted to f - - - Anna Nicole Smith. Get me Anna Nicole Smith.' And an hour later she'd come walking in." Tarantino's longtime talent manager, Cathryn Jaymes, whom he fired after "Pulp Fiction" hit big, also tattles. She says Tarantino explained his behavior thus: "You know, I've always been selfish. I don't need to pay a manager anymore. I have an agent. Look, I can get kings and queens on the phone now. I don't need you. What makes you think I'd stay with you anyway?"

Kagan asks us to write: if we could apprentice under one director, who would it be? I didn't want to pick Tarantino because, well, it's sooo played. But maybe I ought to reconsider just for the material.

No comments: