Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Studying Ebert

I've been paying attention to Ebert lately because I can't find any good movie reviewers. He watches and reviews everything and they are easily accessible online. That's enough for me. But I think he's either a hack or too friendly with the filmmakers themselves. He doesn't add anything to discourse, merely articulates exactly what he thinks the rest of America will argee with.

For instance, I looked at his old reviews on Tarantino and found this...which I totally disagreed with on every level.

The same thing applies to his Wes Anderson reviews. 2 stars for Bottle Rocket, 2.5 for Rushmore and 4 for the Royal Tennenbaums. What? Anyone knows Rushmore was the achievement - not Tennenbaums. The difference: it was safe to love Tennenbaums and Rushmore came out of no where. What happened to the tradition of film writing, like Andre Bazin and Pauline Kael?

And then there's this, which is really atrocious...Bridget Jones 2, three stars, higher than Rushmore or Resevior Dogs. Come on...

No comments: