Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Way to Go Portman

She drops some serious Knowledge with the WEB Dubois...

PORTMAN APOLOGIZES FOR BLACK QUOTE
Natalie Portman has written a letter to fashion magazine Allure to explain herself for comments she made in an interview in which she empathized with being a black American.
The "Closer" star insists the attributed quote, "I'm not black, but I know what it feels like," was "personally offensive" when she read the article in August's Allure.

Portman writes, "If I had spoken more articulately, I might have conveyed what I truly feel: I could never know what it is like to be a black American.

"The 'it' I was referring to when I said, 'I know what it feels like,' was not intended to signify that I know 'how black people feel' but rather that I know what Dubois' ["Souls of Black Folk" author W.E.B. Dubois] concept of double-consciousness feels like."

Portman also alleges her quote was taken out of context: "Had my quote included what I actually said preceding that statement, perhaps my meaning would have been clearer."

She adds, "I sincerely, and with my deepest regrets for offending any readers, apologize and apologize and apologize. This has hurt me deeply, and I will do my best to be more thoughtful and articulate in the future."


This is the most interesting thing Portman has done since Beautiful Girls.

By the way, since we have transgender folks who are born men, but are actually women...why can't we have transrace folks who are born black, but are actually white. Like Colin Powell. Ok, just kidding...but seriously, what if Portman was actually black in her soul and just happened to be born white. Just a question.

No comments: