Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Well, That Was Different

Tonight I attened the Game Design Workshop offered by the USC interactive media division. This is the training ground for new game designers. I walk into the class, expecting interactive division MFA students, maybe some cute girls, I dunno. Instead, I got what was probably the more logical expectation - 30 undergrad guys, half of whom are playing some type of video game before class, either via handset on or the computer. There are MAYBE one or two girls. Frankly, I feel slightly intimidated because I know nothing about video games post Super Nintendo.

Anyhow, class starts, a few awkward game jokes are made that pass over my head. The teacher seems a little dull and the grading and workload a bit intimidating.

But then we enter into the lecture section and start discussing the material and I find it incredibly intriguing. We briefly talk about what comprises a game: the formal elements, dramatic elements, and dynamic elements.

Formal elements: Players, Objectives, Rules, Procedures, Resources, Boundaries, Outcome.

Dramatic Elements: Premise, story, characters

Dynamic Elements: What occurs when the rules are set in motion - what's referred to as "emergence" or new and unique patterns.

I start thinking about games I love - poker, risk, tennis, chess, mrs. pac man, mario kart, mortal kombat, soccer, and why the patterns that emerge from these games are so compelling and fun to play. I think about designing something to be played versus being watched or experienced (like a movie) and how these things might be related. We talked about how games are this voluntary "stepping into a magic circle," where we abide by certain rules to create a temporary "new world" governed by rules. I started thinking about how much fun I have playing games with friends and family. I start thinking about how games can act as a metaphors for bigger things, such as political systems, legal systems, business, etc. I start thinking - wow, isn't this what education is supposed to be about, expanding ones mind and learning new things as opposed to say, multicam. Fzzzz (that's a fart noise).

We'll be designing games on paper and playing them. Yes, this will be fun, hopefully I can convince USC to let me substitute the requirement....

No comments: