Sunday, January 08, 2006

Random Thoughts On Genocidal Regimes

In reading A Problem From Hell, I am becoming more acquainted with various genocidal regimes. This is how I think I would have fared, had I been a member of the victim groups at the time:

Turkish genocide of Armenians, 1915 - I don't think I would've survived this one. It was the first modern genocide, sort of the new thing on the scene - they didn't even have the word, genocide, yet, so they didn't know what to call it. I probably would have noticed something shitty was going on and opened my big mouth and then gotten massacred.

The Holocaust, 1939 - I don't want to sound cocky, but I think I could have survived the Holocaust. Because there seemed to be widespread fear of the Nazi regime and certain folks went to great lengths to survive, I think I would have played this one rather cautiously and managed somehow to survive like Adrian Brody in the Pianist.

Khmer Rouge, 1978 - These bastards would've got me for sure. They killed like 2 million out of 7 million Cambodians in existence, mostly the educated ones. I think if I opened my mouth to ANYONE for a period of three years, they would've caught on - hey, that mother fucker used a fairly big word, KILL HIM. Yeah, there's no way I survive these guys.

Iraq, 1987 - I have no doubt I could have survived Saddam's gas attacks against the Kurds. I would have gone up to the mountains and chilled and just stayed out of the way like the Kurds were used to. I would've bailed on the villages that were ripe for attack.

Bosnia, 1992 - Surviving the bombing of Bosnia seems rather luck based, just whether a bomb hit you or not. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I would've survived this one, cause I dodge bullets, baby!

Rwanda, 1994 - This is a toss up. It happened so quickly that I think I could've hidden out and survived for the 100 days or so, but it seemed like they were pretty thorough about not letting Tutsi's leave cities and then tracking them down with machetes. I know I wouldn't have tried fighting, I hate that hand to hand, knifes and shit, so I would've hidden out. I really don't know the terrain of Rwanda well enough to gauge whether I would've been able to make it.

1 comment:

curious m said...

Check out Stathis Kalyvas' paper on violence in civil war for another perspective (http://www.nd.edu/~cmendoz1/datos/papers/kalyvas.pdf). It's 40 pages long, but in summary he argues that violence during genocide/civil war is also caused by preceding personal vendettas and strife internal to the community. For example, I don't like you or I want your house/wife/cow so I'm going to take this opportunity to kill you or denounce you to the current regime. Interesting stuff.

So does this change your chances of survival at all?