Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Self Esteem is Down to Zero

Last week I got a frantic phone call from one of my closest friend's from college. She heard a rumor one of our close friends got engaged. I figured, it couldn't be possible, he would've called.

This scenario is double-ly absurd because ANOTHER one of our supposedly good friends from college secretly got married two years after college to his high school sweatheart. The three of us, that is: my friend who called, my friend who may have just been engaged, and me, all discussed how sad it was that we were not informed or invited to the wedding of our other friend.

At our 5 year college reunion last summer we discussed the issue of shunning old friends to get married, this realization that we had grown so far apart that we weren't invited to the wedding, and how we'd never does this to each other.

So it was today when I ran into a college acquitance at USC pursuing his PHd in literature and he says, "So that's crazy about Gabe, huh."

I explain how I heard the rumor, but haven't spoken to him and how disappointed I was.

He said, "Yeah, he didn't call me either...but YOU....didn't you guys live together for four years?"

"Yeah."

I have no friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck 'em. Your new friends are better anyway.

Greg said...

What is so weird about this whole thing is that it was nearly unthinkable that such a thing would happen. 2-3 years out of college we were planning a vacation per year. Just six months ago we were at the reunion together. Before Christmas we planned to have lunch and play tennis.

What is bad about this situation and why I think it is effecting me so much (and it is - i am still feeling quite blue) is because it makes me all friendships can dissolve and come to nothing. All is contingent on random factors, and these friendships that I thought I built over the years are just temporary.

And that of course effects the present - are all these new friends just people that pass through? As unthinkable as that is, it was just as unthinkable 5 years ago that this day would come.

Charles said...

You know who we should blame for this travesty...the bitches, it's always their fault...or Al Queda, I haven't decided for sure yet.