Monday, January 02, 2006

I Saw Brokeback, But

Larry David has a funny op-ed on Brokeback.

Over the break my dad indicated that he did not want to see Brokeback Mountain and my mother accused him of being homophobic.

I suspect my father is not alone, in that many men probably don't want to see Brokeback and will be accused of homophobia. All the gayaphiles in LA and NY will yell, "Well, it's true! They probably are homophobic!"

So is that what our society has come to? You are a homophobe if you don't want to see a movie with gay lovers? If this is true, then is being a homophobe wrong?

Are white people who didn't see Diary of a Mad Black Woman or Memoirs of Geisha racist?

Probably.

I guess it just means that racism and homophobia have no meaning beyond the everyday insecurities about different lifestyles and cultures...

No comments: