Sunday, January 29, 2006

Soccer

I became aware of a soccer game yesterday evening over a poker game and invited myself along. In a drunken bravado I guaranteed a goal. It was stupid. I go to the game, it's lovely to be back on the field. I'm put in at forward at the twenty minute mark.

We go down 1-0. We tie it 1-1. They go up 2-1 before the end of the half.

I get a good shot on goal before half and kick it right at the keeper. In the second half I'm switched to center mid.

They go up 3-1, most of their goals are because of sloppy defense, mistakes on our end. I miss another golden opportunity, again kicking it right to the goalie.

Then, a cross, I nail a sweet header into the upper-v. 3-2. I scored my goal, but we're down, with about 12 minutes left.

We are playing much better than them. I get another opportunity and smack it again at the keeper. I should have easily scored three goals in this game.

We give up an incredibly stupid penalty kick 4-2. The refs call the game early, because of other games. People are pissed. I hate losing, but it was great to get out and play.

Then I run into another team filled with guys I went to college with, all a year or two younger. They've just started to play. They want me to play in the game. My head says go, but my legs say no.

It appears soccer has come back into my life.

No comments: