Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sticking With It

Today I was driving and thinking about tacos. Nowadays, tacos are so much simplier than I remember them growing up. Today, often you get a taco, in the "authentic" roach coaches around L.A., you'll just get a tortilla with meat in it. That's it. Just a tortilla and meat. You can generally throw on onion and cilantro and salsa and lime juice, these things are true. But it's still really simple.

When I think back upon tacos when I was little, they seemed like a big, fancy production. I loved tacos, perhaps that's why, I figured, they were so good - they must be complicated. My mother would take us to Lucinda's, the most authentic Mexican lunch spot in Tiburon, we'd get tacos that would come with mouth watering shredded beef, cheddar cheese, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa.

Come to think of it, even looking back, tacos were never that complicated. It just seemed that way when you were a kid.

This is how I feel about filmmaking. It seems difficult and hard after a couple of years of making pretty crappy movies and then seeing peers movies falling short of expectations, and so on. And then there's the "what do I do after film school?" question.

So, hopefully, filmmaking is like tacos, seemingly complicated at first, but ultimately just meat in a tortilla.

No comments: