Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ahhh, Movies

Firewall is so incredibly stupid I can't understand how it got made. The movie wasn't written or directed, it was just produced. It felt like eating easy-cheese. Scratch that, I like easy-cheese. It felt like eating raw hot dogs.

Nothing decent has been showing at the Grove for the past 3 weeks. I have the discounted tickets from USC and haven't been able to use them...so today, I was in the neighborhood and I just went. Firewall was the result. I decided I must watch something else to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. So I watched the second half of 8 below. That's right, the Disney-Paul Walker movie about sled dogs. It was better than Firewall. Of course, that means nothing.

Then I re-watched Brokeback. Better the 2nd time for me. Seeing it alone is a different experience and outside of all the hype of the first week.

To me, the most powerful aspect of the film is still the Innis character. The way the world wears on him, morality, love, money, family...he's really one of best characters put up on screen in a long time. It deserves best picture and Ledger deserves best actor.

UPDATE: Interesting timing, but McMurty, the co-writer on Brokeback talks about the "point" of the film: Life isn't for sissies.

"You need strength; love is not easy," says McMurtry. "It's not easy if you find (it), it's not easy if you don't find it. It's not easy if you find it but it doesn't work out. It merely says the strong survive, but not everybody is strong."

No comments: