Monday, February 13, 2006

Spoofs

What's up with these spoofs? I just watched Apocalypse Oz and now Waiting For Godot on the Edge of Chinatown. This is what people come up with? Are they thinking "I'm going to take some of the greatest movies/plays ever made and and re-cast them with generally crappy actors (maybe one or two with some talent, but undeveloped), give them shittier dialog and stupid references, spend a lot of money on chase scenes?"

I find myself incredibly bored in these movies.

I think there are interesting reasons for spoofs and remakes, especially if you're using a template of a film to say something interesting about the present...but these are simply substitutes for coming up with an original idea.

UPDATE: Now I'm watching a nearly exact Chris Marker rip-off, a La Jette. I mean reference it, but I don't see why make it with the exact style, it's so obvious. But I'll say this, it's more enjoyable than the other two. I almost wish a friend had made this so we could talk about it....I think the editing is WAY too quick and the digital manipulation of the photos with in-post zooms, etc, too much. And the fades? What's up with them? Anyhow...

UPDATE 2: So I'm reminded how awesome the end of La Jette is...and the end of this film was awesome, too, but it's pure derivative, a complete rip off. And then in the credits there is no reference to Marker. Bastards. I'm giving it a 3.5.

UPDATE 3: A lot of the films I'm watching were made by woman directors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about the Godot film, but I did happen to see Apocalypse Oz as a friend was on the crew. You my want to watch that one again, Greg, as none of the dialogue is original - it all comes from the films its based on. So much for the shittier dialogue...

Actually, I thought it was represented rather more than a bankruptcy of ideas - I'd call it a re-interpretation perhaps. It seems pretty interesting to me to observe Oz and Apocalypse Now as essentially the same film with what are really only superficial generic differences.

It's also the first American film I can recall seeing, to consider (Vietnam) war from the 'enemy's' perspective, albeit subtly - very pertinent right now I'd say as we goose-step happily across foreign lands once again... or is that anti-American? Shit!!