Friday, February 03, 2006

Nerdiest Thing I've Ever Did

Hopefully someday someone will ask me, "What's the nerdiest thing you ever did?" Because I now have a good answer. "When I was in my last year of grad school I was in a game class. Each week we are assigned a group to play a game with, and describe the formal, dramatic, and dynamic elements of the game. This one particular week, I opted to be in the group that played Shadows over Camelot, a collaborate game where each player is a different knight who goes on quests and does battle with dark forces. The group playing the game try to defeat the dark forces and win the game as a group.

The rules are complex, and we slowly figure it out. We play with the most simple rules, not using the possibility that one of the knights is a traitor (which is an added element that complicates things), and almost win the game. We were working together well, but got tremendously unlucky at the end of the game and game defeated us, as the dark forces bombed our castle.

It was devestating. We were all sad - that is, me, a 27 production MFA student who fancies himself as fairly cool, and three 18-19 year old undergrad game design majors, sitting in Leavy Library at 8:30pm on Friday night. So what do we do? Well, we played another game and kick the living shit out of the dark forces. Fuck yeah!

The odds of any one of us players getting laid this evening was reduced to a negative number the moment we agreed to that second game.

No comments: