Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Harlan Coben

Ended up at his website today because I'm curious about the guy. Need to read some of his books. I don't know what's up with me right now, but I've gotten into the habit of starting books, getting a good chunk in, and then starting another book. It's very weird, because I'm enjoying the books. I've heard of people who like to read multiple books at a time, just never been one myself.

Right now, I'm reading the autobiography of Ulysses S. Grant. It's old fashioned, but still interesting. This one is around 800 pages, so I understand my need to take a break and read something short and sweet.

Also started Richard Price's LUSH LIFE. Also started Rex Pickett's SIDEWAYS to see how the movie-book adaption went. So far, there's basically five lines of dialog from the book in the movie and the plot backbone, but almost all of the important details are different. Quite interesting.

Anyhow, some good FAQ answers from Harlan Coben. What a cool name, too.

Q14: Do you outline? Do you know the ending before you begin?

A14:

I don’t outline. I usually know the ending before I start. I know very little about what happens in between. It’s like driving from New Jersey to California. I may go Route 80, I may go via the Straits of Magellan or stopover in Tokyo… but I’ll end up in California.

Q16: How do I get published?

A16:

My advice would be to NOT try to market or sell your novel until it is done. I mean, completely done, done done, fully-finished and ready to go, and a few other redundant phrases like that. Sorry, for obvious reasons, I can’t read manuscripts or recommend an agent. I do suggest that you find an agent. There are many sources for that (the Writer’s Market is one). Then write the agents a fabulous one-page query letter that reads like the greatest flap copy in history. Make them hunger for more.

1 comment:

sher58 said...

I think it's a side effect of the job, I do this a lot now too, never used to be able to read more than one thing at a time.