Sunday, October 19, 2008

When You're Right, You're Right



I thought Colin Powell was done. His UN presentation of WMD evidence, in hindsight, was one of the saddest parts of the whole Iraq War II decision. At the time, Powell was one of the most trusted men in America, and for people like me - middle of the road, educated, not strongly partisan, rational thinkers - lended legitimacy to the WMD argument. Colin Powell, combined with Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Tony Blair's support of the war definitely influenced my thinking. I always suspected the WMD argument wasn't the best approach, but having Powell up there at the UN providing evidence, made me think: all right, maybe this is the issue.

Now we know there were no WMDs...but worse than that...we know our highest levels of government and intelligence people were hudsuckered by false memos and phony connections. The level of incompetence or downright falsehoods would not be tolerated in almost any decent professional environment. A lawyer THAT wrong should of been fired. A doctor THAT wrong should be fired. A businessman THAT wrong should be fired.

Colin Powell went out there with his reputation on the line and sold the war. He failed to convince the UN. But he helped convinced enough of America to support the project. And I know he regrets it now.

I thought he was done. But watch this video - maybe the man isn't done. Americans love a comeback. How about Secretary of State or Defense in an Obama Administration?

I like the sound of it.

Side note: Instapundit calls Powell's endorsement "hardly an act of political courage." I don't know that courage is always the most important factor. I'd rather be right than courageous...at least right now. And fine, maybe Powell just swings the way of the weather...supporting an initially popular war and now supporting the front runner for the presidency. But hey, I happen to agree with the guy, so like I said - I'd rather someone be right than brave.

No comments: