Friday, October 03, 2008

Foreclosure Suicide Attempt

A 90 year old woman tried to shoot herself when her house was being foreclosed.

While sad, it's not clear to me the situation is directly to do with the current mortgage crisis. She was borrowing money against her home many years before the crisis hit. The more general problem is old people living a long time but not being able to provide for themselves. They need family support or a large pension or a large retirement plan. I personally think we should try to find jobs for old folks - like the Amish do - to give them something to do and a sense of purpose. Also, I think old folks have something to offer the workplace, which tends to be filled by younger folks running around like chicken's with their heads cut off. They could offer perspective and wisdom, I would think.

Obviously, this is a general statement, but in general our society is very segregated by age. At least in the cities. I wish I had more interaction w/ different generations, I love hearing their perspective on things.

1 comment:

Melissa Ellis said...

A pretty good part-time job for old folks is working as background actors in LA. Central Casting sends out all sorts of old people for calls. They get paid $64-130 for 8 hours of work and then overtime.

Crossing guards could be old, so long as they can see and walk.