Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Heavy Duty McCain Article

Rolling Stone has a nasty, but informative article on McCain.

The most interesting (and true) quote:

Even those in the military who celebrate McCain's patriotism and sacrifice question why his POW experience has been elevated as his top qualification to be commander in chief. "It took guts to go through that and to come out reasonably intact and able to pick up the pieces of your life and move on," says Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff, who has known McCain since the 1980s. "It is unquestionably a demonstration of the character of the man. But I don't think that it is a special qualification for being president of the United States. In some respects, I'm not sure that's the kind of character I want sitting in the Oval Office. I'm not sure that much time in a prisoner-of-war status doesn't do something to you. Doesn't do something to you psychologically, doesn't do something to you that might make you a little more volatile, a little less apt to listen to reason, a little more inclined to be volcanic in your temperament."


I was a bit afraid to say it myself, but now that someone else has come out and said it, I agree.

Look - the issue with community organizing (with respect to Obama) is that it reeks to me of total bullshit. What the hell is a community organizer? And as Robyn asked tonight: who pays for it? I find this to be the dirty secret of Obama's bio and it's right out in front of everyone's faces to see and examine. I don't begrudge the man's intentions to get out there and do good for the world. (okay, fine, I do begrudge those intentions) But seriously, the issue I have is with the vacuousness of the work, not the man.

And the dirty secret about McCain is also right out there in the open: how does spending five years in a Vietcong prison camp qualify you to be president? I know McCain would call me an ungrateful little piece of shit right now. And probably try to choke me. But I don't imagine he'd be able to grab me. And I wouldn't fight the guy.

No comments: