Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Awesome



I agree with most everything Barkley says in this interview. My favorite part: "the fact of the matter is, the President doesn't affect people's day to day lives all that much." I love the interviewer's reaction, "we're talking about the most powerful man in the free world here?" Barkley's like, "Yeah." (as in, so what?) As if she's never heard anyone say this before. But I totally think Barkley is right. We make too big of a deal of the President. Obviously he matters, but the world is so big and complicated that his/her impact in the day to day is quite small. Furthermore, the President is constricted by things much larger than himself - systems - government institutions, rival parties, world events, economic trends and business cycles, other world leaders and nations, ideologies - just tons of shit all the time. I think people overvalue the impact a President has in the tremendously complicated world of 6 billion plus people...

No comments: