Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Truth Makes You Feel Better

This whole Ipod thing is awesome - I got free Chris Rock...just listened to the newer one, which I hadn't heard all the way through - Never Scared.

Married and bored or single and lonely. Those are the choices.

So sad, but so true. He goes off on married people and how he hates them, they're so frigging boring. He also goes off on how no one finds a soul mate, you're lucky if you just find a mate.

Whether Rock knows it or not, he's criticizing our entertainment culture whose highest value is "happiness." But in this constant, incessent need for "happiness," no one has it and feels shitty about themselves as a result. We drop into a state where we value people and things on the degree to which they entertain us or to what degree we find people watchable.

The founding fathers knew better - the point has never been "happiness," but the freedom the pursue happiness, a much different concept. Andrew Sullivan writes:

I believe in the pursuit of happiness. Not its attainment, nor its final definition, but its pursuit. I believe in the journey, not the arrival; in conversation, not monologues; in multiple questions rather than any single answer. I believe in the struggle to remake ourselves and challenge each other in the spirit of eternal forgiveness, in the awareness that none of us knows for sure what happiness truly is, but each of us knows the imperative to keep searching. I believe in the possibility of surprising joy, of serenity through pain, of homecoming through exile.


Back to Rock...

Talking about Sigfried and Roy - "people said that tiger went crazy. That tiger didn't go crazy. That tiger went tiger. Tiger gone crazy when he's riding around on a tricycle with a Hitler helmet waving and saying, 'I'm a crazy tiger.'"

Now when are they going to start selling old Howard Stern shows for podcast?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sure you don't want to temper your generalizations?
i would contend that my life is as boring as yours is.

Greg said...

hey man, talk to chris rock, not me, i'm just paraphrasing. anyhow - it'd be your life is as lonely as mine...not boring.

Anonymous said...

after paraphrasing, you said "so sad, but so true" so i'm talking to you.
you (and rock) contend that married life is boring when compared to single life. i say that my life is as boring as yours, i.e. i have at least as much excitement in my life as you do.
or is that not the case because you're single?

Greg said...

Okay, KEVIN, you're right. My life is boring and lonely and pathetic and maybe if i was married it would be better. Cheers :)

...alright, let's temper it this way - in MY experience, in relationships, I get bored. While single, I get lonely. C Rock says something similar. I tend to agree with him. I didn't mean to disparage your marriage and maybe the shit just don't apply to everyone or to you specifically. A'rite.

Anonymous said...

fine. back away from a perfectly reasonable fight using logic and humility.