Sunday, August 14, 2005

Movies

The Island - Whoever developed this idea partook in the same 6th grade English cirriculum as I did - it was a combination of two stories I read that year, one called the Lottery and the other involving cloning body parts, which I cannot remember the name of. They took those ideas sprinkled some Matrix, some Enemy of the State, and GM sponsorship and walla, a movie. I guess it was fun, but my big issue with action/military movies these days is the overemphasis on technological gidgets. The bad guys use all this fancy shit that doesn't work...hasn't Al Queda proven that it doesn't require fancy technology, but rather, cleverness?

Wedding Crashers - It's funny. A pretty good mix of sentimentality and no holds barred humor. The montage of wedding towards the beginning started and I was like, "Oh, no, this montage sucks," but then it just keeps going and going, it's freaking relentless.

Bad News Bears - Not a good movie, BUT watching it in a drive-in (a first for me), was pretty enjoyable...cracking open a Bud whenever I saw Billy Bob drinking one. I got to thinking - sure, I like Masculine Feminine and Providence and Close Up, but I can't imagine the drive in crowd enjoying any of those critically important movies as much as they enjoyed the re-make of Bad News Bears that night.

2046 - Every actor and actress in this film is a BIGGER badass than any American actor working today. I don't know exactly why or how to explain - but I know this, if I saw Gong Li, Ziyi Zang, Tony Leung, or Faye Wong on the street, I would be star struck. I have trouble naming an American actor or actress that could do the same.

The Aristocrats - An hour and a half of Vox Pop. Snooze.

No comments: