Sunday, August 07, 2005

Heeeeey There...

This reminds me of my around California project where I went to all these PG&E offices around the state collecting documents regarding the bankruptcy - I remember this trip vividly for clashing with my superiors and being in butt fuck no where on 9/11.

But another memorable night was in Roseville, staying at an Embassy Suites which was also the meeting up spot for all the 18 year old kids enlisting in various branches of military service. I was staying at the hotel and kids were everywhere, it felt distinctly like College orientation, excitement of young men and women meeting all new people for the first time. I remember riding in the elevator and people asking me what branch I was joining.

I remember feeling a bid sad at the time, thinking this is what people in a little bit lower class than myself do instead of attending college.

That night my sadness had substantially subsided as I drank beers and snuck into the hot tub with a coworker. Joining us was a gorgeous young girl, 18, who was of all things, joining the Marines. I was smitten, fairly blatently hitting on her and giving her beer, enough so to provoke mocking taunts from my female coworker...anyway, she didn't join us in the room to continue the party once we were booted from the hot tub, but I remember thinking of this girl when we invaded Afghanistan - she must be out there somewhere. And then I feel sad again.

No comments: