Friday, June 24, 2005

What's that Shakespeare Line?

He doth protest too much, or something.

"I'm happy, I swear, I'm really, really, REALLY happy."

I'm glad this is on the front page of the NY Times website, instead of say...this - a trial in South Florida where a Palestinian Professor is accused to being an Islamic Jihad mastermind and fundraiser. (thanks, Instapundit.

On a similar note, my father and I also spoke about the general downturn of big media sources, TV, movies, and newspapers. He reads the SF Chronicle and Wall Street Journal every day, out of habit, he says. But he's noticed, particularly with the Chronicle that it's gotten smaller. Less advertising because there's no money in it. They are always cutting back on staff. Clearly, sales are down. I don't read newspapers out of habit, I read blogs. But I guarantee I read more than 1 newspaper a day in blog articles (when I'm not in production). On TV, he says, he finds it very hard to get into and follow any of the shows. And movies, well, we've been discussing that a lot lately already on Public Musings.

I love how the big media, reacts, however - by making Tom Cruise and Michael Jackson the headlines, no wonder people go to alternative sources. And movies - make "sure bets" like Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Cinderella Man, because it's too risky to make F 9/11 or Passion of the Christ. That's real smart, prolong a nice, slow, steady decline. And TV, jesus, just go for the quick reality tv show buck, hope and pray to make the bottom line.

No comments: