Monday, June 20, 2005

Mark Steryn

Has sort of become the most vocal and articulate person against Sen. Durbin's comments. Here is an article via Instapundit. How does the left respond to this quote - "In the hermetically sealed echo chamber between the Dem leadership, the mainstream US media, Hollywood, Ivy League “intellectuals” and European sophisticates, the gulag cracks are utterly unexceptional. But, for a political party that keeps losing elections because it has less and less appeal outside a few coastal enclaves, Durbin’s remarks are devastating."

I know this left quite well, I was raised this way, nearly all my friends all liberal, my college, my career, everything valorizes the values of the NY Times, Ivy League Intellectuals, Euro-sophisticates, Hollywood, etc. And I've often been discouraged by the lack of intellectual inquiry - never the intelligence, but more the curiosity of the folks in my environment. These are smart folks, but also folks who have grown accustomed to being validated instead of challenged, supported instead of attacked. This is a recipe for weakness and I'm not surprised we have the party we do, and perhaps deserve.

I find it utterly embarassing to watch liberals quiver with anger when conservatives bash our positions and make fun of our sensitivity. We whine, "they're bullying us. They're making politics ugly." We use these pathetic whimpers to justify anger and hatred and lack of rational, clear thought, like a battered child.

As Don Corleone says to Johnnie Fontane, "be a fucking man!"

No comments: