Thursday, June 16, 2005

Palm Beach Story

I showed Fireman's Ball for my Cinema Parlour selection, but my original intention was to show Palm Beach Story. Unfortunately, I didn't get it from Netflix in time and my video store didn't have it. I finally got a chance to watch it, and I must say, it would have been an excellent selection. Preston Sturges' films hold up today better than anyone else from his generation, except perhaps Howard Hawks. The whole movie is about a poor couple trying to makes ends meet and the women decides to divorce her husband so she can marry rich and hopefully get him a break to build his airport. He's an engineer. The dialog is clever, fast, and fun, the characters amusing and fun to spend time with. I could watch any of his films made at Paramount.

No comments: