Friday, June 24, 2005

Evil Bureaucrats
At work today we discuss the issue of booze at Trojan Football games. People in favor of such lame-ass policies point to the rest of the Pac-10 - no booze at any stadiums. The Trojans are the exception.

Is this the world we want? Is it the world we imagine? Who decides these things?

Deep down, I'm pretty sure I know the answer. USC has some problems at football games with drunkards. Prissy, mealy mouthed, pussies complain about the problem, instead of dealing with the annoying drunkards face to face. Instead of figuring out a way to confront the a-holes who create drunken problems at the football games, the bureaucrats say, "let's eliminate serving booze and hopefully the problems will go away."

They don't even consider what it says about our lives and our attitude towards life when we make such rules. I've seen this consistantly with institutions my whole life. They punish everyone for a few bad apples because they're too damn lazy to figure out a way to make things better for everyone. The film school is the same way - we make a tremendous number of rules to cover our ass, creating a suffocating environment and nearly impossible to make making movies easy. Part of me wants to try to change things at SPO to make it easier on people, but another part of me is like - is it worth my time? Seriously. Why should I spend my own time trying to fix things, when I can float along, collect my stipend and make my own movies. Just follow along, don't ask questions, don't cause any trouble...

No comments: