Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Style and Ideology

Mathew Yglesias has a pretty cool post about the different styles of liberal vs. conservative (or dovish vs. hawkish) blogs.

The basic gist is that conservative/hawkish blogs tend to be run by a single person (or small group) [Instapundit and Powerline] whereas liberal blogs tend to be more community and comment based. [Kos and Atrios]

He makes some interesting observations about this development, check out the link.

I'm curious if whether these stylistic differences influence ideology. I MUCH prefer reading single author sites. I actually find Kos tremendously confusing to read and have troube understanding who has posted what. Maybe I'm stupid. But I just generally prefer hearing a particular voice on issues, as opposed to some sort of community amalgum. We had this film forum set up for our 507 class, which I initially liked, but soon got annoyed with because I found it a bit choatic, like everyone started shouting at once. It quickly died out, I'm wondering whether it had to do with other people's similar sentiments, or whether people just got too busy. (*note, if something is community based, there is also a lack of ownership and therefore folks stop maintaining - see scfilm.net, our living room my sophomore year in college, and the fall of communism)

But I wonder if this little stylistic thing has contributed to my own swing slightly right. Or maybe it was 9/11.

No comments: