Monday, August 02, 2004

This Will Ruffle Some Feathers

I remember in AP History we used to play a Jeopardy like quiz game. I was pretty cocky in the game and the question for our group, I thought, was what was the greatest crime against civil liberties during the 1920s? I said to my group - it's gotta be the Sacco and Vanzetti trial. I confidently announced the answer on behalf of the group in order to take the classroom lead. EHHHHH. Wrong!

What! I exclaimed.

The Japanese Internment, smiled Mrs. Loughran.

Impossible, I said. That happened in WWII.

If you listened to the question, we said what is the greatest crime against Civil Liberties in American during the 20th century?

The lesson, she told me, was that I should have listened to the question.

I know realize, the lesson is also that the Japanese Internment holds a unique place in the minds of American's, as an unquestionably horrific thing done to AMERICANS. There were plenty of bad things done to many groups throughout the 20th century in America, jim crow, for one. But the internments are so clear-cut. Or are they?

Michelle Malkin explores it. By the way, how does an Asian women get the last name Malkin?

No comments: