Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Economic Upswing

As Greenspan smugly demures about the strength of the economy and his ability to steer the ship through rough waters, I have to say I agree with him...

I'll tell you why. I take email order for an industrial supply company. We ship all sorts of tools and supplies, like metals and nuts and bolts, and screws, and all sorts of things all around the world. People generally use our projects when they are building something. Many of our customers do not pay tax because whatever they are buying is going to be re-sold as another good.

Our sales have been up for most of the summer, and is one of the reasons I was hired. It is a good indication that when customers are buying the types of goods that go into making other goods, that the economy is doing well.

In recent years, the Asian market has grown and is another reason why I was hired. More than most, the Asian customers use email to place orders. Being in the LA office, we take the Asian orders early in the AM. I end up taking a lot of these orders every morning. The growth in Asian purchasing at my company has coincided with the rapid growth in China.

And just recently, in the past two weeks, we've gotten a bunch of orders from around the Middle East. Our office does not handle the Middle East, but we forward the messages onto another office. I've noticed an increase and any type of building and production going on over there is good for modernization.

So that's my hopeful confirmation of Alan Greenspan, for whatever that's worth.

No comments: