Thursday, August 19, 2004

Conclusion to Reality Blogging

Since no one posted a suggested reply, I responded myself:

Hey (blank),

Well handled. Subtle, yet clear. To answer your question, we have screenings. Usually they’re pretty fun. I know most of the people who worked on the films, and it’s followed by a Charles Shaw and cheese party at USC, which despite being in a crappy part of town, is a nice campus.

I didn’t know you were in a band. Cool. Even cooler is the fact that you guys have a rival band. I’ll pack tomatoes and keep my eyes open this weekend.

Take it easy,
Greg


I hope my email properly closes the door on the situation. I don't think there is any point in staying in platonic touch with the girl. For me, it'll just be frustrating and a waste of time, despite her being a nice, and HOT, chick. The whole boyfriend thing is not worth it, even if they were on the outs...which I have no indication of. I think there's two schools of thought for decent guys to take: 1) Hey, they're ain't no ring and 2) It's too messy with another man in the picture. I've played both angles before and think #2 is the appropriate one to take in this case.

A little analysis on the email string. The first "No" clue came in her first response...and I overlooked it because of the positive possibilities. My suggestion that we "hang out" was countered with "we can keep in touch." Had she been truly interested, she would have taken the "hang out" cue and run with it. But I think my second email was a good one, because it made it immediately clear what I wanted and she got it, if she had any questions about the first one.

Her second response was a nice way of saying:

1. I miss school.
2. I have a boyfriend.
3. I'm in a band.
4. Where do you show your work?

I'm not really sure if she's just being nice about the asking about the filmmaking stuff, or she trying to get an invite to a screening, or what. I did like that she shared the band info - which I found interesting, because why would she want to share that information with me? I mean, honestly, why would she even want to stay in touch? I barely even know her. Maybe, just like lots of working people in LA and after college, they just don't know that many people and would like to have a wider net of friends.

In any case, that's about as sophisticated as I can get. I will say, I'm disappointed that no one drafted a response, despite at least 15-20 hits in the past two days looking at this stuff (which is a great thing!)

No comments: