Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No Me Gusta

Sullivan uses a ghost blogger?

There are a lot of reasons I don't like this. One, it is false advertising. Two, from blogging all these years, I've come around to believing that it is THE ACT of writing that gives value to the words. Rubber stamping something you agree with isn't writing. Having someone write on your behalf, something you'd say, isn't writing. Writing itself forces you to think through what you are saying. The time it takes to punch out letters matters. It matters for rhythm, it matters for thoughts to germinate and to become clear, to marinate. Sometimes I start posts that I never finish because I discover I'm saying nothing or saying something I don't mean to say or saying something I don't believe. But lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this is a huge act of arrogance. When what you're selling is your words, I expect them to be your words. Certain things should not be delegated - friendship (i'm reminded of kramer's intern taking notes at lunch with george and jerry), sex (see extract), traffic school (the online one's test you to make sure you aren't having someone else take it on your behalf), and writing.

I'll still read the blog, but this partially explains why I don't like it as much as I used to. Or maybe I'll slowly fade away as a fan.

No comments: