Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's Complicated

Saw an early screening last night. I enjoyed it. Something is happening to me - I'm becoming a pop-saccharine sap. I'm watching Jersey Shore, following Tiger and his mistresses, and enjoying Nancy Meyers movies. Soon I'll be watching Project Runway and working for ABC.

The Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin triangle works well. She resists the easy out by making Baldwin likable and Streep - as always - is a pleasure to watch. I found the old-people-having-sex nice and refreshing and not disgusting - for whatever that's worth. Although Baldwin did seem to have a spray tan.

The lamest part of the movie are the children, who seems to have little personality of their own and are basically treated like precious props...which is standard for Hollywood, except these are actually grown children as opposed to kids still in the home. I can let this go - it was a free screening.

There was a moment when the movie almost popped into sixth gear (11 on the Spinal Tap meter) when MS and SM get ahold of weed and attend a graduation party. There was a moment where I was like, "Holy shit, they might really have something here..." but alas it never quite takes off. And they could of made a pretty interesting statement about male-female relationships by ending the movie on the bench (not ruining it yet) - but of course - can't resist doing the old hollywood happy note.

5 comments:

Kat said...

Watching Project Runway and working for ABC...do you mean to say that you're turning into ME????

Greg said...

i hope not.

Kat said...

too late, the metamorphasis has begun...don't even try to tell me that you haven't recently been yearning to watch LOVE ACTUALLY...

Greg said...

gross. worst movie ever.

i love LA.

Kat said...

it's OK, I won't tell anybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05nXkNxKkW4