Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thanks to Rupert

WSJ headline - Taliban Are Winning - turns out not to be entirely accurate.

I don't have a beef with Rupert Murdoch's approach to business - the man is mogul - he makes money and gives people what they want.

I do regret, however, a world without the Wall Street Journal as it once was. I didn't read the Journal, except rarely, but the very existence of a reliable, sensible, high brow, exclusive and expensive newspaper serving the financial community gives me a sense of stability. I like the notion that there are serious people out there who are reading and keeping up to date on the important issues and who don't just go for the headline or the hysteria of the moment. I don't care if it leaned right or leaned left. Just that it was serious and took itself seriously.

I don't mind a world with tabloids. And I don't mind a world with the WSJ. I do mind world where there is only one or the other.

No comments: