Monday, September 25, 2006

Sorry I Missed It

But I really wanted to watch the Saints game tonight, the first time the Superdome reopened after Katrina and the 2-0 Saints were taking on the 2-0 Falcons.

Sports are important to Americans. We are a culture that values success, but above that, we are a culture that believes in in competition, specifically, good, fair competition.

I think people sometimes forget this about Americans. The important thing about the Saints playing tonight wasn't that they ended upon winning 23-3 in a blowout. But that they, as representative and symbolic of New Orleans itself, stood up and did their jobs, played hard, and ended up winning. This is the side of America that I think people miss, and that I, as an American, love. We aren't a society who pities itself. We are a society that picks ourselves up, and although we know there is still a lot of work to be done and rebuilding after a tragedy, we are a society capable of doing just that.

This year, I'm a Saints fan.

No comments: