Monday, September 04, 2006

I Meant to Write This Before

The other day I was reading the LA Times and came across the movie review for a film speculating what would happen if George Bush were assassinated. My first reaction was this sickening feeling in my stomach. Not exactly sure why. Perhaps because it's obvious that a movie like this was bound to be made.

I fancy myself being not being a prude or politically correct and being open to takes on history and the present that are outrageous, wrong, and offensive. So on what basis should I feel sick to my stomach? How am I any different from those who were hurt by the Danish cartoons?

Well, for one, I'm not protesting the movie or threatening death to it's maker. Mostly, the movie makes me sad, because it's so obvious a fantasy of many on the left to see this act of violence committed against George Bush. They'd so much rather see him get killed than to see Zarqawi or Bin Laden get it. It's been obvious for a long time. And to be honest, I don't understand it. Nor do I really want to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah. that's quite a charge, that "most of the left" want George Bush assasinated.

Greg said...

ugh. i can't believe i even need to defend myself on this one, but i said many on the left fantasized about george bush being assassinated - not that most of the left want george bush assassinated.

try reading next time.

Greg said...

furthermore, the topic of interest should be the fact that this movie got made and distributed...any interesting thoughts on that?

Anonymous said...

whatever greg. instead of being snippy, admit that the implication is there. i think that accusing most of the left of fantasizing about George Bush being assasinated is still quite a charge. Of course you need to defend that. Next time find your movie review from a non-right wing website.
And yes, it is interesting that this movie got made, particularly during Bush's tenure. But indie movies tend to be successful when they're controversial. That's clearly what the filmmakers were going for. I guess it's one way to get your movie made.

Greg said...

now you've misquoted me two times. i said "many" and not "most." i'd say that means you're making the implication - not me.

but regardless, i'm stating the obvious, when i say a movie reflects a fantasy.

fight club reflects a common young male fantasy to participate in a fight.

disaster movies play on fantasies of horrible things happening.

action movies play on fantasies of kicking ass.

romantic comedies are fantasies about fallling in love.

MANY of us have those fantasies and like those fantasies and go to movies to experience those fantasies.

Now a movie is being made and the premise is not - what if a president got shot - but what if George Bush got shot?

Do you believe that I am wrong in speculating that many on the left have this fantasy? I would argue that by virtue of this movie being made that either a) many people do have this fantasy or b) some movie makers THINK that many people have this fantasy, or at least enough to head out and see the movie.

Anonymous said...

however you want to characterize the existence of this movie, i still think it is an irresponsible thing to say that many on the left have the fantasy of bush being assasinated. and yes, i think you are wrong in speculating that such a thing is the case. the assasination of the president wouldn't be good for anybody. people who have that fantasy (i.e. desire) are crazy.