Saturday, September 16, 2006

Clarks

I've been needing a new pair of everyday shoes for a little while now and so yesterday, I poked my head into Silverlake Shoes. Basically, all they sell are Clarks. I don't know anything about Clarks or that much about shoe fashion in general. They looked pretty stylish and cool - which is rare for men's shoes, which for the most part, is a pretty dull world, vacillating between total boredom to skinny gay styles. For awhile, back in 2000-2002 or so, I really liked Kenneth Cole, they were reliable and cool looking, but I sort of got over my stylish corpo look and reverted back to basically wearing sneakers whenever I could.

For everyday shoes, however, I don't like plain old sneakers, I like something with a little more verve.

Anyhow, I stepped into the store not planning on purchasing, because despite needing shoes, I'm cheap. But of course, the lady convinced me to try on shoes after I asked her whether Clarks were known for being comfortable. She said, "very comfortable."

They looked durable and seemed to be reasonably priced, in the $100 range.

I tried on a couple of pairs. Pretty comfy. I picked the ones that felt less comfortable and more durable because I liked how they looked.

For the record, whenever I try on shoes, I purchase something. Without fail. Something about the effort the shoe salesman has to go through to get the shoes from the back, I feel obligated to buy. It's poor habit, and I think shoe salesmen know it. I suppose if I can't find anything I'd wear or if they didn't have my size, I wouldn't purchase.

I'm wearing the shoes today and I like them a lot already. They've already molded to my feet and feel very comfortable, something I was slightly worried about initially. Comfortable shoes = good.

It's weird. I have a ton of shoes, but only wear a couple pairs. And despite not liking men's shoes that much, the last couple of pairs I've purchased have worked out remarkably well.

First, I purchased a pair of Lacoste white shoes on an impulse because I just saw them and liked them - which, as I mentioned before, is rare for me with respect to shoes. I almost immediately regretted buying them because I think they were overpriced for a simple pair of sneakers just because they were Lacoste. But I liked how they looked and they became my everyday shoes and I wear them all the time. I count that as success. They aren't the most comfortable, but they aren't uncomfortable. They don't breathe particularly well, but I can wear them everyday and be fine. They are not good for athletics. But I've gotten a ton of wear out of the shoes and I don't feel like a jackass wearing them, so I consider them, in hindsight, a good purchase.

Second, I recently splurged on a pair of Nike Tennis shoes. I knew I needed a pair of tennis shoes because the pair of soccer turf shoes I had been wearing were beginning to hurt my feet and not provide enough ankle support. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but I got to the tennis store and was trying on pairs and this other customer talked me into trying on the Nike's. Oh man. They are definitely one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. They fit my feet incredibly well. I've since worn them playing tennis and they're totally awesome. I really like them. I even like playing tennis more when I wear them - I think they've gotten me even more excited about playing.

The one drawback to the Nike's is that they are a bit flashy and I don't think I'd wear them around town much. I like how they look with shorts, but wearing them with pants, it's just looks a little odd. But I suppose that's ok, I don't wear my soccer shoes or golf shoes for anything other than those sports, so it's probably smart to think of Tennis the same way, although traditionally tennis shoes have been dual-use.

And now with this pair of Clarks. Me like right now.

Here is a link to them. I may have overpaid and I like the black...but oh well.

No comments: