Friday, February 25, 2005

Searching For Mohammed Atta

What about a documentary about searching for an Islamic Terrorist living in LA? Do we think there is a terrorist living in LA? Could we find him and interview him? This could be an incredible documentary.

UPDATE: Ahhhh. Indeed Nate hits upon the crux of the issue, the same issue everyone that I talk to seems to have interest in....the ethical element. I think the great part of the idea is that who knows whether it's a comedy or deadly serious. And while I imagine access to Al Queda is even more difficult than the public schools...who knows without trying, right?

Many feel I'm setting myself up for failure...it'll be impossible to find al queda and the audience will be angry, knowing it's set up that way. Maybe. And maybe if I did find an al queda, I'd have an ethical obligation to turn them in. Or would I? What about journalistic or professional integrity? I know doctors, counselors, are obligated to turn in patients when they may harm someone. But one of my favorite quotes is from a friend, "There's no ethics in filmmaking."

But whatever - how can you address ethical issues before they've even arisen?

No comments: