Saturday, February 12, 2005

Gender Roles

After the show, I went out and realized this morning how often we fall into the typical gender roles.

I arrive at my friend's (a girl) house, bearing beer (as if it's the only thing a man can supply to a dinner party). I eat the food that she's prepared (as if only a women could do the cooking). Then we went out and I drove and the guys paid for the drinks. Typical.

Undermining gender roles will start when women start paying for drinks. I doubt many women are into THAT kind of equality.

Oh damn, I see an argument in the future....

Comment: Wooo hooo, drinks on my-december! But seriously, the greatest contribution of feminism to the world, I think, is the notion that the personal is POLITICAL. Practicing feminism is living it - and a decent start is to start paying for my drinks. :)

6 comments:

Charles said...

YO, I'm OK paying for drinks...Just understand, the laides got something I want in return...you know what I'm saying dogg!?

Greg said...

A good deed? Do Avital and Stephanie think they are doing ME a favor by hanging out with them?

Talk about seeing the world backwards.

Greg said...

And for the record, I checked out my-december's website and it turns out she's 17. So that drink will be coming in 4 more years. Sweet.

cindy. said...

let's get one thing straight, aight, mookie? if a man buys me a drink, i always pay for the next one.

Greg said...

Cindy = Feminist

Anonymous said...

Sigh...I wish things were clearer.
I don't think it is so much a question of money as power. Paying for drinks tips the balance of power to the man, and how exactly is the woman supposed to pay him back? Exactly....A woman who pays for the next drink levels the playing field, however unromantic that might be.