Monday, February 21, 2005

Ipod World

Check out Andrew Sullivan's little societal commentary about Ipod people. Very, very interesting.

I was skiing over Christmas and one of my friends was listening to an ipod - it was weird, I thought, we didn't talk as much. He turned it off most of the time, but it was weird to yell to someone and not have them respond, even if it was only once or twice. Something was disconnected.

He also does a little side note about how NYC is dead. Huh? I'll need to follow up on this, I was thinking about going over spring break. That would indeed, be too bad, the bourgeoise taking over the cultural capital of the US.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Yes. I think walkman's are anti-social...they were never quite as cool as ipods, methinks...although those sony sports models were fairly hot. And, no, no, no, reading a book helps you pick up intellectual chicks. "Oh...you're reading Crying of Lot 49, you're sooooo smaaaart." I carry around Tropic of Cancer just for that purpose.

Steph! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph! said...

In regards to the Walkman comment, I think the key difference is the marketing of the iPod versus that of the Walkman. The entire ad campaign for iPod conjures up a cult-like image for the product. Apple wants you to believe that you WILL ascend to the ranks of the "coolest-of-the-cool" if you own (and jam to) your iPod/ mini/shuffle... In their visual language, anyone can own a Walkman, but only the Young Beautiful Hipsters own iPods.