Sunday, January 05, 2014

Logging

Film:  Her

I didn't buy it.  I'm sorry.  I don't believe these kind of premises for movies or in this outlook toward the world.  I don't believe three people and a Siri voice can sit atop the Santa Monica mountains having a picnic and a jolly old conversation.  I call bullshit.

I'm just a good old fashioned humanist, okay?  This means I believe in the intrinsic value of human life and that our politics, our culture, and our social institutions evolve out of this premise and not others.  Human life has value not because we are conscious or because we are rational, but because we are human.  That's why we can eat animals and it is not okay to kill babies.

Anyhow, this is largely the root of my dislike and distrust of hipsterism, Facebook, internet dating, and digital/computer culture in general.  They are all part of a movement to treat other people primarily as objects of amusement as opposed to something of intrinsic value.  It reduces people to an accumulation of Facebook posts, status bars, what kind of cutesy clothes they wear, or band they went to listen to last night.  And so of course, if you view other people this way, there certainly IS no difference between a person and the computer voice of Scarlett Johansson.

No comments: