Monday, October 04, 2004

I Heart (Shape, not the word) Huckabees

I would like to write more, but I'm too tired. A movie about competing philosophies - existentialism and nihilism and materialism, I guess. I thought Jude Law was super funny.

I can't think of another filmmaker that I would consider intellectual, other than David O Russell these days. Hmmmmm.

UPDATE: Groovey responses. I agree with Therese...Pi (the symbol, again, not the word) is certainly an intellectual film. Honestly, I haven't thought about Aranofsky much in awhile. Even Requim is fairly intellectual as far as films go.

As to money...I can't see this thing making anything, really. It's a tough movie, but it might have come out at the right time, might have enough laughs, and it certainly has the cast, to make, say 30-40 million. But from the movie perspective, I remember thinking to myself - whoops, O Russell may have severely hindered him own chances of making another movie in awhile here...

Mallick - I consider this guy to be more of an abberation than a filmmaker. 3 movies in like 30 years? I admittedly love Badlands - it's one of my favorite films ever, but that was in the 1970s.

In the end, film is not really an intellectual medium...it's an emotional one. I think I heart Huckabees suffers from that.

1 comment:

Charles said...

try a bit of Malick too. though you're point is valid. we probably watch too many american movies....that is, we definitely watch too many american movies. Hollywood is certainly not home to the high minded.

So, let's guess as to what kind of money this movie will make. I haven't seen it, but doesn't seem like a huge breakthrough film from what I hear.
Flirting w/ disaster $15mil
Three Kings $60mil
I heart Huck $46mil???