Sunday, July 18, 2004

So Lazy
 
Woke up around noon after a mellow night of a movie and a few beers.  My roommate was watching Kurt and Courtney on TV, which entertained me for an hour.  I ate leftovers and read an article about how Democrats need to organize like the Republicans and appeal to the "un-base" of the Republicans who are generally dissatisfied with Bush's cow-towing to the rich.  I thought about going to a movie.  I did Laundry.  I read some articles about oil consumption.  I cleaned up my room.  I went shopping down the street and was suprised that nice knit shirts were so expensive, 50-70 bucks.  I guess when I was working full time, I could swing that, but these days, that's food for a week - or at least half a week.  I bought brie and soprossata at came home to make a sandwich.  Stole the neighbors NYTimes Sunday they hadn't picked up until 4pm.  After noon the newpapers become fair game.  I thought about working out.  I watched Celebrity poker instead.  Angie Dickenson, Jeff Gordon, dude from Office Space, annoying girl from TV sitcoms, and Penn from Penn and Teller were on.  Talked about going to I Robot or Anchorman.  Decided to write blog entry. 
 
Lazy Sunday.  I need it after these long weeks....
 
Last night we watched the Conformist at LACMA.  Bertolluci and Storaro.  Freaking amazing looking film.  It's not out on DVD.  We saw a 35 MM print for $6 with a student discount.  I slept through much of the 2nd half of the movie - it was tough to access.  But an intersting film about this Italian Fascist spy sent to kill an old liberal professor of his exiled in Paris.  Crazy, weird shit going on in this film, I don't even know what to say about it.  The plot, which isn't completely clear to me, wouldn't really explain the film.  Descriptons of memorable shots would do a better job:
 
1.  Close up of two people becoming intimate in an office.  Zoom back like 200 yards to someone watching them across a huge empty room.
 
2.  Moving camera that circles around a character as he moves away from his mother's driver and lover into a new space, where the character arrives.  It feels as though the camera circles the character, while the character is moving.  It still doesn't make sense to me how they accomplished this.

3.  Room with venetian blinds.  The entire room is lit through enormous blinds and the women wears a striped dress to match the lighting. 
 
4.  There are a couple of interior shots with windows in which the color outside changes...especially the train scene. 
 
5.  The color of the car headlights...a pinkish yellow or something, in the midst of a grey, blue exterior, driving on a foggy road.

No comments: